Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Movies in the making

First of the theme parks today - Universal Studios.  We left early so that we could get in at the start of the queues, except someone forgot to bring the tickets so we had to go all the way back to the hotel to get them...grr me.


The statue on the right moves
We still got back in time for opening and strangely it didnt seem too busy anyways. First stop was for coffee.  Second stop was the Studio Tour.  All I can say about it was that it was excellent - I recall it from my last visit 20 years ago but its been improved further still.  About 1/4 the way into it you have to put 3D glasses on for the King Kong phase.  WOW so cool.  So freaky in 3D - big dinosaurs and King Kong attacking each other.  I was sitting next to Natey who grabbed hold of me and excitedly yelled "I love this place". We had to go quietly around one section of the tour as they were filming the new tv show called "About a Boy".

part of the 'backlot'
New York in LA
can you hear water?
it floods then it disappears
Bates Motel with the house up on the hill
Next was into the sound effect stage show.  This too was so funny - and we actually learned a bit about how the effects work, it felt like being told the secrets of a magician.

Lunch was next - Pinks Hotdogs.  We went for the chilli dog option - once again prefer the ones from home.
 
After that we went and saw the Waterworld show which was just like the one in Movie World at the Gold Coast - jet skis, water and pyrotechnics.

We sat in the dry zone - thank god cause those who didn't got soaked
When we entered the park Nate spotted the Haunted House ride and was desperate to go.  I was reluctant but felt like I should do the right thing and take him.  So he and I lined up for about 20 minutes to get in.  Once we got to the entrance I think he started to rethink it.  We walked through the door into the darkness and he lost it.  Absolutely terrified to put it lightly.  He grabbed onto me and screamed and sobbed hysterically - and that was before anything even happened.  I couldnt calm him down at all - the people in front of us thought it all a bit funny.  So, I couldnt get him to finish it so we darted to the nearest exit.  Unfortunately the exit was really just a shortcut so we had a couple more werewolfs jump out at us. Once we got to the real exit and we could see daylight Nate ran for his life...  I learned a valuable lesson - despite what he says he is not ready for the big boy rides.

happier times for Nate

Dinner tonight was at the local Mexican Restaurant.  The menu was written in mexican with English subtitles and was run by a mother and daughter duo.  The food was amazingly good and so cheap.  I think about $30 for the 4 of us!



No comments:

Post a Comment